Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Stuff


Oh my! Where has the week gone? It amazes me how time flies.

In addition to my usual yoga and meditations, I have numerous little disciplines going on in my life now. One is to do a sketch a day in my journal. To be honest, I’ve missed a few days already but I won’t let that stop me from sticking with it. I am doing it as a little meditation, of sorts. I love the one-pointed mind that has to take over in order for these little sketches to happen, and I want to be there more often.

I am focusing my sketches in different ways. In January, and maybe February, I’m drawing my stuff - things that I own, or things that I have around me daily.

Another discipline I’ve added to my day is to play piano. I have a Casio keyboard here and I’ve plugged into all the lessons that come with a macbook, and a few others I’ve found on the internet. The same mind set takes over when I sit down to practice. I think I’ll do a 30 minute practice session and two hours later, I’m looking at the clock in disbelief. Where has the time gone?

I like being in that timeless spacious mind. It feels so light and free, like being a child again. I’ve been out skiing nearly everyday this year, even in the sub-zero temperatures. Actually, it’s ski joring because my little dog is pulling me, sort of. Somedays, he decides we need a break so I take off my skis and lay down in the snowbank on the edge of the forest. Again, instantly, I feel a mind-shift to a much freer, more expansive state. I feel myself open to an entirely more alive and aware state, with less mind chatter and more simple sensations, like a crisp breath of fresh air, the cold hard ground beneath my body, and my face being kissed by snowflakes.

I have started a new page on my website: podcasts. Visit at smilingyogi.com for a meditation podcast. - more to come!

5 comments:

Bill said...

Nice web site. I like the idea of a daily sketch and I am interested in podcasts.

Jenifer Ebel said...

Have you seen my books page? I think you might be interested in Danny Gregory's work. Check out his website sometime.

Chris said...

Good to have you blogging again. I've missed your words of wisdom.

Jenifer Ebel said...

Thanks Chris, Have you been to the web site? New podcasts and more on the way! :)

Chris said...

I'll check out the podcasts tomorrow. Thanks for doing them.