Sunday, January 9, 2011

Let the Body Speak


As an intellectual type on the enneagram, I almost always find my way to understanding through my thinking mind. I intellectualize everything. I’m wired that way. It’s my default approach, my vantage point.

I’m sure that is one reason I was so drawn to yoga in the first place. The respite it provided was palpable. It is refreshing to step out of the mind cubicle and into the fascinating world of the body - my own physicality.

Being in asana is another form of meditation for me. But this morning, this beautiful, sunshiny, cold Sunday morning in January, I consciously turned my awareness to check in with the body and got instant, loud and crystal clear insight on what is needed now, to maintain the balance I’ve been enjoying.

My Lyme symptoms have largely subsided. I only have occasional waves of subtle sensations that act as a reminder for me to pay attention; a reminder that balance isn’t static but ever shifting and adjusting to life circumstances. I love the invitation/reminder to let my body speak for itself and to listen well and take heed.

No comments: