Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Courage


What is courage? I recently read somewhere that courage isn’t the lack of fear, rather, it is feeling your fear and being able to move ahead in spite of it. I’ve been playing around with the idea, and attempted to take one courageous move each day this week. I began to notice all the little ways my inner critic had been holding me back, many of them subtle.

Rather than one nameable, measurable action each day, it became more a period of honesty. I am facing the small thinking and an inner critic that has been given too much power in the past. (Mainly because I didn’t really notice how both were yanking my chain.) I am facing them with equanimity and interest and then, as they fall helpless to the floor, (as they do when you stop to notice them) I am stepping calmly, deliberately and boldly over them and getting on with my projects and my life.

No comments: