Friday, February 26, 2010

I write, therefore I am


When I was a Junior in high school, my English Teacher, Duane Clark, had us keep a journal. I am forever indebted to him for that. We used our journals for exploring our lives, our thoughts and feelings, and for trying different styles of writing and self-expression. Can you think of a more beautiful gift to give a teenager?

I’ve written countless volumes of journals since. I’ve written my way through difficult situations, laying my thoughts and feelings out on the page so I could sort them out. I’ve used my journaling as a way to understand yoga, the teachings and my direct experiences in asana and meditations. I’ve shared entries over the years in many of my classes.

I write to understand - myself and my world. Writing gives voice to the whole gamut of being human: thoughts, feelings, perceptions, ideas, experience and spirit itself. For me, writing is prayer, contemplation, meditation and celebration. It is a gift that is at once, given and received.

I made a little video to go with this but blogger is having trouble uploading and processing it so you'll just have to hop on over to my website blog here and see it there. Sorry! :(

No comments: